The Jacksonville Oregon Chamber of Commerce and Business Association is a membership organization comprised of local businesses and non-profit organizations, regional service providers, and others interested in supporting a vibrant business community. Our activities are overseen by a Board of Directors and rely on member volunteers for the majority of our initiatives.
Our members help us identify where our energies and resources should be directed by their own involvement. So if you don’t see an initiative you would like, step up and help us develop it.
The Chamber runs the Visitor Information Center (VIC) under a management agreement with the city. The center is staffed with paid employees and overseen by a part-time Executive Director.
We also lease the Trolley from the city and operate narrated history tours. The trolley runs Fridays – Mondays in May and October and daily June – September providing narrated tours of the historic sites. The Executive Director provides management oversight for the trolley tours and private rentals.
Destination Marketing Organization We are also designated as the Destination Marketing Organization for the Jacksonville/Applegate area by Travel Oregon. The Executive Director serves as the primary contact point for the regional and state staff. Activities related to that role include:
- Facilitating visits by Writers and Travel Writing Groups
Which helps us get stories in the following publications – VIA, Sunset, Portland Monthly, Northwest Palate, Southern Oregon magazines and others. Along with specialty Internet Blogs and Websites.
- Develop and implement comprehensive advertising and marketing plans
- Marketing committee provides oversight
- Chamber Event Promotion –Victorian Christmas, Haunted Trolley Tour
- Quarterly Mixers – networking opportunities with business colleagues
- Topical Meetings – round-table discussions or presentations on business related topics such as finding service providers, developing business plans, social media, etc.
- Quarterly Membership Meetings – Review recent and upcoming Chamber Business
Committees & Project Teams
Marketing Committee – Oversees marketing plans, advertising placement, branding, etc. Members must be Enhanced Advertising Package participants.
Visitor Services & Reference Materials Committee – Provide insight into reference materials – printed and online, facilities and activities of the Visitor Information Center and Trolley
Membership Meetings Project Team – Identify needs of the membership for meetings – topics, formats, scheduling, etc.
Promotions, Events & Activities Project Team – Develops concepts for promotional initiatives to attract visitors to town, focusing on shoulder seasons.
Haunted Trolley Tour Project Team – Develops and implements the annual Haunted Trolley Tour chamber fundraiser.
Victorian Christmas Project Team – Oversees development and implementation of the annual holiday celebration and promotion.
- Annual Meeting – Annual reports given
- Annual Budget Development – Budget Chair, Treasurer, President & Secretary
- Nomination of Directors (Nominating Committee Chair – Vice President, Immediate Past President & 3 Board Members)
- Director Ballot sent to member 6 days prior to Election Date
- Director Elections must be prior to March 30
- If there are not more candidates than open positions, New Directors will be approved by existing Directors and elections need not occur
- Chinese New Year – facilitate hanging of lanterns with Boosters, street banner and coordinate implementation of parade for SOCCA – Southern Oregon Chinese Cultural Association
- Organizational Meeting- Newly elected Board of Directors meet to select Officers in advance of taking office
- Enhanced Advertising Package Invoices – due
- Travel Southern Oregon Symposium – attended by Executive Director, others welcome
- Spring Promotion
- Governor’s Conference on Travel & Tourism (attended by Executive Director & 1 board member)
- Haunted Trolley Tour Planning begins
- Haunted Trolley Tour Planning begins
- Annual Membership Invoices
- Victorian Christmas Planning begins
- Victorian Christmas Support Campaign implemented
- Launch Fall Promotion/Campaign
- Halloween Downtown Trick-or-Treat – Saturday before/on Halloween
- Haunted Trolley Tours – fundraiser
- Veterans Day Event with Pioneer Village
- Victorian Christmas Celebration