The Jacksonville Oregon Chamber of Commerce and Business Association is a membership organization comprised of local businesses and non-profit organizations, regional service providers, and others interested in supporting a vibrant business community. Our activities are overseen by a Board of Directors and rely on member volunteers for the majority of our initiatives.
Our members help us identify where our energies and resources should be directed by their own involvement. So if you don’t see an initiative you would like, step up and help us develop it.
The Chamber runs the Visitor Information Center (VIC) under a management agreement with the city. The agreement is related to the allocation of the local Transient Lodging Tax.
The center is staffed with paid employees and overseen by a part-time Executive Director. The VIC is staffed from 10 am – 3 pm daily April – December, 10 am – 2 pm Monday – Saturday, January – March. We are located at 185 North Oregon Street, next to the Post Office
We also lease the Trolley from the city and operate narrated history tours. The trolley runs Fridays – Mondays in May and October and daily June – September providing narrated tours of the historic sites. The Executive Director provides management oversight for the trolley tours and private rentals. More Trolley Info
Destination Marketing Under the expanded management agreement with the City, we also oversee marketing and promotional initiatives. The Executive Director serves as the primary contact point for the regional and state staff. Activities related to that role include:
- Develop and implement comprehensive advertising and marketing plans
- Marketing committee provides oversight
- Maintain online presence through website, social media & other online tools
- Promote Chamber-Sponsored Events –Victorian Christmas, Haunted Trolley Tour
- Facilitating visits by Travel Writers and Tour Operators
- Providing updated information to TravelOregon.com and Travel Southern Oregon – the state and regional destination marketing organizations
The Executive Director role is filled by Tim Balfour, former owner of TouVelle House B&B and Chamber Board Member and Officer. Tim works from a home office on a flexible schedule so email is the preferred communication option: ExecutiveDirector@JacksonvilleOregon.org
- Quarterly Mixers – networking opportunities with business colleagues
- Topical Meetings – round-table discussions or presentations on business related topics such as finding service providers, developing business plans, social media, etc.
- Quarterly Membership Meetings – Review recent and upcoming Chamber Business
Committees & Project Teams
Marketing Committee – Oversees marketing plans, advertising placement, branding, etc. Members must be Enhanced Advertising Package participants.
Visitor Services & Reference Materials Committee – Provide insight into reference materials – printed and online, facilities and activities of the Visitor Information Center and Trolley
Membership Meetings Project Team – Identify needs of the membership for meetings – topics, formats, scheduling, etc.
Promotions, Events & Activities Project Team – Develops concepts for promotional initiatives to attract visitors to town, focusing on shoulder seasons.
Haunted Trolley Tour Project Team – Develops and implements the annual Haunted Trolley Tour chamber fundraiser.
Victorian Christmas Project Team – Oversees development and implementation of the annual holiday celebration and promotion.
- Annual Meeting – Annual reports given
- Annual Budget Development – Budget Chair, Treasurer, President & Secretary
- Nomination of Directors (Nominating Committee Chair – Vice President, Immediate Past President & 3 Board Members)
- Any member is encouraged to server on the Board. You can discuss your interests with any of the directors
- New Board Members are selected by the sitting board unless there is a significant level of interest requiring a full election process. Slate of new officers voted on at March Board Meeting with new directors assuming roles in April.
- Chinese New Year – facilitate hanging of lanterns with Boosters, street banner and coordinate implementation of parade for SOCCA – Southern Oregon Chinese Cultural Association
- Haunted Trolley Tour Planning begins
- Organizational Meeting- Newly elected Board of Directors meet to select Officers in advance of taking office
- Enhanced Advertising Package Invoices – due
- Travel Southern Oregon Symposium – attended by Executive Director, others welcome
- Spring Promotion
- Governor’s Conference on Travel & Tourism (attended by Executive Director & 1 board member)
- Haunted Trolley Tour Planning begins
- Annual Membership Invoices
- Victorian Christmas Planning begins
- Victorian Christmas Support Campaign implemented
- Launch Fall Promotion/Campaign
- Halloween Downtown Trick-or-Treat – Saturday before/on Halloween
- Haunted Trolley Tours – fundraiser
- Veterans Day Event with Pioneer Village
- Victorian Christmas Celebration