Trolley Tours Running for 2017 with some changes
Jacksonville, Oregon – Jacksonville’s Trolley Tours began running for extended weekends in May with a few changes. There is a new location for the trolley stop, new tour times and new fares.
The trolley stop will be at the Visitor Information Center which is located on the corner of North Oregon & C Street. Right beside the post office. Tickets can be purchased at the Visitor Information Center by cash, check or credit card and on board for cash only.
Tickets are only sold in person and on the day of the tours. This helps us to avoid selling tickets for any times the trolley may be booked for private tours or out of commission for other reasons.
$3 for children (Children held on a lap do not require a ticket)
Tour Times 10:30, 11:30, 12:30 1:30, & 2:30
FRIDAY – MONDAY MAY & OCTOBER
DAILY JUNE – SEPTEMBER
This new location for the trolley stop helps address a number of issues. On a temporary basis it will avoid the congestion from the construction of the balcony on the US Hotel. But more importantly the new starting point allows us to avoid an awkward turn onto California Street that was eating into our tour times.
Last summer we experienced an increase in the drive time for the tours from 45 to 55 minutes due to the increased traffic in town. The trolley’s turning radius requires a wide swing into the oncoming lane, so there has to be plenty of clearance. And due to the traffic flow from the east this first turn was highly problematic.
Since we operate the Visitor Information Center in the historic railroad depot next to the post office we realized that it had the following attractive qualities:
- Opening up the parking spots on 3rd Street currently used as the trolley stop. We would swap the two parking spots adjacent to the information center.
- It is close to the large D Street public parking lot, the main bus stop and public restrooms
- Information center staff have the information and resources to assist visitors and trolley riders with how best to experience Jacksonville. They refer people to the many attractions, wineries, stores and restaurants as well as special events.
- Information Center staff will also be able to sell tickets for both cash and credit and be able to answer visitor questions about the trolley tours. This will free the drivers up to focus on loading and unloading the trolley. It will also streamline communications about tour availability on those occasions when the trolley is out of its normal rotation.
- This location has plenty of benches and is well shaded by two large trees. The building also has deep eaves to protect people from the rain & sun while they are waiting for the trolley.
- Although it is extremely premature, the Chamber has begun looking at the possibility of converting part of the block of 3rd Street into a pedestrian park. Testing the trolley in another location allows us to determine whether the trolley is a must have in planning the park.
The trolley is operated by the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce under a lease agreement with the City of Jacksonville. We are still in fundraising mode to pay off the newly acquired trolley. Donations can be made online at JacksonvilleTrolley.com or the Visitor Information Center, 185 North Oregon Street.
Combining the best known songs from everyone’s favorite animated films and a classic party game give you Randall Theatre’s produ...
Mad Libs Musical continues at Randall Theatre, Enjoy our intimate music venues to get out of the rain. And Applegate Wine Trail’s Fa...